Rachel, Day by Day
2014 was a great year! There were many great times with family and friends and I have so much to be thankful for. Time really has flown by and I can’t believe 2014 is almost over. From family gatherings on weekends to a trip to Las Vegas, we did a lot this year! 2014 ending makes me sad in a way. The majority of the year had great times, but there were also some tough times, too. But, I had Scott, family, and friends by my side, which has always been a great feeling. I don’t know what I’d do without them! I am one of the luckiest girls in the world.
Here’s a list of the highlights from 2014 for you!
- Last New Years Eve: We rang in the New Year at Medici and Maggie Miley’s.
- I started the Double Take project, but sort of neglected it. Sorry!
- Kate, Graham, Steve, and Jillian visited to watch a Blackhawks game in January.
- I needed two fillings, my first fillings ever!
- My family visited in January and we went to Carl’s ice cream!
- Ate at Biaggi’s with Scott for Valentine’s Day.
- Went to the Bloomington Thunder game in February with family and met Tony Esposito!
- Celebrated Soleman’s birthday at Kings and Park Tavern in Rosemont in March.
- Elmhurst St. Patrick’s Day parade in March.
- St. Patrick’s Day parade in Normal and threw a little party!
- Met Grant Bitzer. He’s such a cutie!
- Attended the Going Away Party for my cousins Matt and Jackie. (They moved to North Carolina.)
- Fancy happy hours!
- Got together with college friends and their husbands in April. Went to Claim Jumper and Beer House.
- Spent Easter weekend with my family. We colored eggs and ate brunch at Drury Lane.
- The ending to How I Met Your Mother was awful. Ugh.
- Spent our first wedding anniversary in Chicago!
- Went to Cubs vs. Cardinals game in the bleachers at Wrigley. Cubs won!
- Spent Mother’s Day weekend with my mom! Went to McCormick and Schmick’s for dinner.
- Chicago Blackhawks made it to the playoffs but lost. I’m still proud of them!
- Had a Memorial Day BBQ at our house with my family and Scott’s family.
- Met Trgyve, my friend Kim’s baby!
- Cornbelters vs. Bandits baseball game and got to see Soleman.
- Went to Caden’s baseball game and Kendyl’s soccer game.
- Jeff’s 60th birthday party!
- Scott’s birthday: Went to Pub II and had family over for dessert.
- Saw Jimmy Buffett in Tinley Park!
- Went to Caden and Kendyl’s birthday parties.
- July 4th party at family friend’s house.
- My birthday: Went out with Brendan and Anne for pizza. Had dessert back at our place, too!
- Went to a Bandits softball game.
- Blackhawks Convention!
- Went to Christina’s baby shower and Anne’s bridal shower.
- Cracker concert with Kate and Graham.
- ALS ice bucket challenge. Yes, I did it twice.
- Barbecue with friends at our house.
- Met beautiful little Grace in August!
- Vacation: Went to Wisconsin Dells over Labor Day weekend.
- Celebrated Grandpa’s 87th birthday.
- Anne’s bachelorette party in Chicago!
- Laura and Tyler’s wedding in September.
- My 10 Year Reunion. Yikes!
- Anne and Ted’s wedding!
Vacation: Las Vegas for Ray’s 30th birthday!
- Carved pumpkins in October.
- Went out for Halloween. Scott was a ninja turtle and I was Captain America!
- Sydney was in the musical Annie Get Your Gun.
- Started my new job in November!
- Thanksgiving at my mom’s house.
- Movie nights with Mickey.
- Mom’s 60th birthday celebration at McCormick and Schmick’s.
- Spent day in Chicago seeing the Christkindlmarket and Wrigley Field.
- U.S. and Cuba relations will be better soon, thanks to Obama!
- Spent Christmas Eve with my family and Christmas Day with Scott’s family.
- Went to Brookfield Zoo.
- Movies I saw for the first time: The Hulk, Man of Steel, The Illusionist, Hoop Dreams, Saving Mr. Banks, Gone Girl, Interstellar, Bull Durham, The Godfather, and probably more
Sorry, that was a long list! The toughest part of this year was losing my Aunt Carol in August. She was a very caring a special woman and I’m still having a hard time without her. I can’t imagine how her children, grandchildren, and husband must be feeling. But, we have definitely been there for each other through this difficult time. I miss her so much. It really hurts sometimes.
One great thing I was able to accomplish this year was that I finished scanning all of my mom and dad’s old photos. This project took years, and I’m finally done! I’m so glad we have all of them as digital copies. I should make 1,000 copies, just in case!
Overall, this year was a good one. I have so many wonderful people in my life and I’m glad I got to spend time with them. There were some changes this year, but I think they are for the better. I can’t wait to see what will happen in 2015! I think it will be a good year, too, especially since I have Scott and great family and friends to make memories with. Goodbye 2014, and welcome 2015!